Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hibachi Steak and Shrimp

WOW! Dinner was so yummy tonight and I can not wait to have it again!! Mike and I are always missing the little japanese restaurant in Myrtle Beach when we feel like eating japanese, so I decided for our anniversary yesterday that I'd make him hibachi. Well yesteray was a BAD day with Jayce teething and having to go grocery shopping that I made a quick hamburger steak instead and decided tonight I'd make my honey a good dinner. I didn't fail, that's for sure! He loved it.


First you make the Mayo sauce and should let it set over night so the flavors have a chance to blend. All you need is:

1 - 1 1/4 cup of Hellman's mayo. {Yes it should be Hellman's because then it won't taste so much like mayo.}
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
dash cayenne pepper
{Don't leave out the dash of cayenne pepper...it needs it!}


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Mix all the ingredients until it's well blended and smooth. See! It looks just like the mayo sauce you get in the restaurants. :o) If you don't let it sit over night, it will still taste alright, but not the same.



Then for the meat all you need is
Steak meat
Shrimp or Chicken (whichever you want)
I used the large salad shrimp, because of the kids, but you use the size you like
1 large zucchini, cut into chunks or slices
1 medium sweet onion, cut into chinks or slices

For the sauce to marinate the meat:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix until well blended and then put your cut meat in to marinate for atleast an hour or over night.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You can use a wok, or large skillet, or electric griddle to cook the meat and veggies on. I just spooned the meat onto the griddle, and left some sauce in the bowl for the veggies. I then took the excess juice and tossed the zucchini and onions around a little and let them sit while I cooked up the shrimp and steak.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Mike cooking up the veggies for us while I got Jayce to bed...Gotta love him! He loves to be in the kitchen to help me, even when the dinner was for him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After cooking the meat, you cook up the veggies until the zucchini gets soft yet still a little crunchy {you don't want them soggy...yuck!} About 8-10 minutes each. Then just dish it up with a side of rice, pour your mayo sauce on top {or off to the side to dip} and you are done...Japanese Hibachi ready to eat!! Enjoy! {I did!} :o)


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. YUM!! I think I'll be making this for our guests this weekend :o) & it's so nice to see someone else has red plates besides me LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you guys like it! Just looking at the pics again this morning, I want to make it again! haha!

    ReplyDelete